Re: Upgrading XFree86

*- On  9 Sep, David Kanter wrote about "Re: Upgrading XFree86"
> I'm assuming that I'll need to go on-line at some point during this update. Since I cannot do that just yet where my Linux box is, what could I download at another Internet-ready machine (which has a T1 line) to get deselect to work right?

That would be the easiest.  Sneaker net is a little difficult but can
be done.  I don't have much experience here so I will leave that up to
others.

> Also, how do dselect and apt integrate with one another, if they do at all? I'm a bit confused with all the packaging tools: dpkg, dselect and apt.

This a brief description that is lacking some details but it should give
you a better idea.

dpkg is the backend.  It is what actually does the installing of
packages.  You can use it on the command line to install and check on
packages, see dpkg --help.

dselect is a frontend to dpkg.  It lets you see the packages and helps
the user with conflict resolution.

The apt dselect method is a middle man between dselect and dpkg.  After
you have selected the packages to install it orders them correctly for
dpkg so that everything installs cleanly and in the right order.

apt-get is a command line tool that is smart about installing packages.
If you do and 'apt-get install <package1>' and <package1> depends on
<package2> and <package3> it will automatically install <package2> and
<package3> before it installs <package1>.

See the man pages and documentation of each for further details and
options.

HTH,
--
Brian