Printing *should* work...

 Okay, I'm tying to set up a 486-66MHz, 16MB RAM, 240MB HD, as a
demonstration for Linux Demo Day this Sunday. I've got it more-or-less
working for scanning (the world's worst SCSI card in there :-> ) but
printing is giving me pause. Yes, this is old crappy hardware, but that's
why it'll be impressive. *If* I can get it working...

 I've got magicfilter, lpr, and all the other goodies on there. I've
checked my dmesg, and the parallel port is at /dev/lp1. I've temporarily
got an Epson FX-1050 printer hooked up to it. (I've printed with this
printer in the past. It works.)

 So far as I can tell, /etc/printcap is set up correctly. It's using the
epson9 filter, going to /dev/lp1, the spool directory exists, lpd is
running, and so forth.

 If I try to print (e.g. "lpr somefile.txt"), the job gets queued, but
nothing else happens. If I run lpq reports things in the right
queue, and lpstat claims that the daemon is running *and printing*, yet
so far as I can see, no signals go to the printer.

 Just for the heck of it, I set up a remote printcap entry, following the
Printing-HOWTO, and sent it to my main machine across the network. Same
thing; no errors, but no printout.

 What the heck is going on? Anything I should try? (I haven't actually
done a "cat somefile.txt > /dev/lp1" yet, 'cause I didn't think of it
until later. I'll certainly try it tonight.)

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles       (248) 377-7735        ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

   "Destruction is *easy*. People do it all the time by accident.
     If you think you're so cool, try *improving* something."
                               - Me