ALSA is miserable. (Help?)

I had a lot of hope for ALSA... but I can't get it to work at all.  I have
an Acer AW32 (never mind) it's a CS4232 chipset.  It has all of the WSS,
SB-16, OPL, MPU-401 stuff on it.  I had it working on SuSE with kernel
modules and also with OSS/Free, so I know it works.

It's PnP, so I had to use isapnptools, but even that seems to work.  It took
a long time to realize that I had to run it as root (not su).  Then starting
and stopping doesn't tell me why it fails.  I rebooted after isapnp and
installing ALSA, and I see the initialization happen.  It doesn't install
the modules ANYWHERE.  Are they just not included on Slink or what?  All of
the utilities are, but no modules.

I have run alsaconfig and where appropriate, I have inserted the proper I/O
and IRQ and DMA numbers.

What am I missing?  Where are the drivers?  Is this usable at all or should
I try OSS/Free again?  (cursed miserable closed source drivers...)

--
Jonathan Markevich <debian@markevich.ourfamily.com>
http://members.xoom.com/JMarkevich

"I mean, like, I just read your article in the Yale law recipe, on search and
seizure.  Man, that was really Out There."
   "I was so WRECKED when I wrote that..."
-- John Lovitz, as ex-Supreme Court nominee Alan Ginsburg, on SNL