Re: Help! Hang on boot, with letters LI

Brian Boonstra wrote:

> Hi
>
>         I can no longer boot into Debian!  I installed IE5 in my WinNT
> partition, and after that Lilo would boot WinNT at the prompt, but hang on
> trying to boot Linux.  Then after some fiddling it broke completely, giving
> me the letters LI (in the same position as I previously saw a whole LILO
> prompt), and the system hung.
>         I reckoned Lilo was the problem, and installed a different boot
> loader (PQBoot from Powerquest).  Now I can still boot into WinNT, but if I
> try to boot Linux, I get the same LI hang I had when Lilo was the boot
> loader.
>
>         I tried booting off the CD, activating my partitions, and
> reinstalling LILO, but it win't install.  I then tried to create a boot
> floppy, and I can't do that either.
>
>         I have a 7.5 GB SCSI system with 4 primary partitions.  In order
> they are: DOS, WinNT, swap, ext2.  I was running potato with a
> custom-compiled kernel that I had set up with dpkg-kernel.
If your Linux partition is on a different physical hard drive than your
NT partition you may need to check your system bios settings to see if
the hard drive for linux is being recognized also check for loose wires
on the drive connectors. I had the same problem on a machine with 4
drives and about 6 different partitions and the problem was that I had
been installing a new multiport card and shaken some wires loose. When
the system was turned on the bios reset itself but didnot see thge linux
drive. Good Luck!
--
John Foster
AdVance-Computing Systems