Re: Help! Hang on boot, with letters LI

Low!!

On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 08:42:49AM -0500, Brian Boonstra wrote:
> Hi
>
> 	I can no longer boot into Debian!  I installed IE5 in my WinNT
> partition, and after that Lilo would boot WinNT at the prompt, but hang on
> trying to boot Linux.  Then after some fiddling it broke completely, giving
> me the letters LI (in the same position as I previously saw a whole LILO
> prompt), and the system hung.
> 	I reckoned Lilo was the problem, and installed a different boot
> loader (PQBoot from Powerquest).  Now I can still boot into WinNT, but if I
> try to boot Linux, I get the same LI hang I had when Lilo was the boot
> loader.
>

> 	I tried booting off the CD, activating my partitions, and
> reinstalling LILO, but it win't install.  I then tried to create a boot
> floppy, and I can't do that either.
>

> 	I have a 7.5 GB SCSI system with 4 primary partitions.  In order
> they are: DOS, WinNT, swap, ext2.  I was running potato with a
> custom-compiled kernel that I had set up with dpkg-kernel.

from lilo Manual:

   LI   The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot
    loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a
    geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map
    installer.

This is all i am able to say...
It is strange that you use LILO to load your NT...
As it is explained in a special HOWTO (NT-LOADER-HOWTO ?? Linux-and-NT-HOWTO
?? can't remember its name...) it says that you should use the NT loader to
boot NT and a special entry in a .ini file + a copy of Linux partition
bootsector put in C:\ will handle the case...
It seems that your setup differs from what is recommended and NT has garbled
some of carefully setup LILO sectors...

hope this helps,
Marcin

--