Re: Help! Hang on boot, with letters LI

It sounds like LILO is installed in the boot sector of the partition that you
have linux installed to and not the MBR of the disk. Using an alternative boot
loader like PQ Boot or System Commander still requires LILO to be installed
in the boot sector of the linux root partition while PQ Boot or SC is installed
in the MBR.

LILO can be used to boot all your os'es if you install it to the MBR with the
correct configuration. The man lilo.conf man page will tell you how to specify
the LILO installation location. Any of the numerous online books regarding linux
installation and getting started will contain example lilo.conf files showing
how this is done.

I would recommend that you read the lilo and lilo.conf man pages as well as
the LILO mini-HOWTO found at http:// www.linux.org/HOWTO/mini/LILO.html.

My lilo.conf looks like:

#Install lilo to MBR of disk (To install lilo to the 2nd partition would be
boot=/dev/hda2, or /dev/s*2 for scsi)
boot=/dev/hda
install=/boot/boot.b
compact
prompt
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
timeout=100

#Primary linux kernel (first bootable entry in lilo.conf is default os for timeout)

image=/vmlinuz
        root=/dev/hda2
        label=Linux
        alias=L
        read-only

#Secondary linux kernel (heldover from kernel build)
image=/vmlinuz.old
        root=/dev/hda2
        label=2.0
        read-only

#Windows 98 (not needed if using PQ Boot or SC)
other=/dev/hda1
        table=/dev/hda
        label=Win98
        alias=W

#End lilo.conf

Note: Omit the Windows section if not installing LILO to the MBR. LILO must
then be installed to the linux root partition and PQ Boot or SC must point to
that partition for booting Linux.

BTW, each letter in the LILO boot prompt has a significance. I just don't remember
what they mean. To further diagnose your problem you might try tracking down
that info.

Hope this helps,

Jason