Re: IBM Thinkpad 560 - Nothing but problems installing (I got CDs today)

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, John Miskinis wrote:

> Hi,

Hi again John.

I installed Debian 2.1 to my Thinkpad 560 using a Dlink ethernet adapter
on a T1 line. The pcmcia-cs package included in the base install
automagically detected the card and set it to eth0.

> No matter what I do, it won't see my CDROM during the install.  It
> says "Oh, I see you have a /dev/cdrom", but it doesn't see the
> darn thing.  I have the H45 QuickCD PCMCIA version.  When I
> boot up from /hda5 the base system comes up, and the darn CD
> spins up for a couple seconds (?) and mentioned that "tray"
> error.  I can't understand how it sees the CD.  During the
> install, the PCMCIA config fails regarding an /sbin/cardmgr error.

/dev/cdrom is usually just a symbolic link. It sounds like a problem with
detection and configuration of the interface card. I suggest trying the
other drive with the SCSI card. Then, you'll need to look at the messages
from pcmcia-cs (either using 'dmesg' or 'cat /var/log/messages') to see if
the drive is identified and given a device address. I think the /dev/cdrom
link is probably a red herring.

As always, good luck.

Cheers. Syrus.

--