IBM Thinkpad 560 - Nothing but problems installing (I got CDs today)

Hi,

I got the debian 2.1 CDs today.  I got peanut linux somewhat working
over the last few days, saw KDE, really cool.  I have been having
NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS INSTALLING debian 2.1 today/tonight.

No matter what I do, it won't see my CDROM during the install.  It
says "Oh, I see you have a /dev/cdrom", but it doesn't see the
darn thing.  I have the H45 QuickCD PCMCIA version.  When I
boot up from /hda5 the base system comes up, and the darn CD
spins up for a couple seconds (?) and mentioned that "tray"
error.  I can't understand how it sees the CD.  During the
install, the PCMCIA config fails regarding an /sbin/cardmgr error.

I have been able to make rescue/driver disks OK.  I even got the
base system installed, by copying the stuff over to my C: drive
using windows 95.  I got the base system running OK.  I got it
to boot from /dev/hda2 which contains /dev/hda5 (native linux)
and /dev/hda6 (swap).

I chose "Standard Development System" so as to avoid the deselect
selecting stuff.  I do not know how to get back to this, so every
time I try, I have been starting from scratch.  I wish I knew
how to get to the point where it offers those choices again.

I also tried copying the WHOLE CD (#1) to c:/debian.  It can see
a couple things like dists/slink/main but refuses to see where
the contib and local stuff is.

I WANT TO TRY AGAIN.  IS THERE ANYTHING SPECIAL I HAVE TO DO
TO USE THIS H45 QUICKCD?  I think it's messing up because it
is spun down until needed, and times out(?).

Where do I go from here.  I do not mind starting from scratch.  I
have already wiped out Windows95, and re-installed it about a
dozen times in the last week or so, learning about how to
correctly use fdisk (on both OSes).  It takes me several hours
each time, to get back, and back on the net.

Help anyone?

Determined John