Re: Boot hangs at 'Starting PCMCIA services: modules' on ThinkPad i1476

Earlier I wrote:

>Dear friends,
>
>I've installed a dual-boot system (hamm/that other OS) on a brand-new
>ThinkPad i1476 without any trouble, but the first boot hangs on
>
>    Starting PCMCIA services: modules
>
>I'm suspecting that the built-in Lucent Win Modem is wrecking havoc,
>but don't have a clue as to how to fix this.  I'd appreciate any sug-
>gestions.
>
>BTW, I'll try with slink tomorrow, but am not very optimistic that
>that will solve the problem.
>
>Please reply directly as I don't subscribe just yet,  Haven't figured
>out how to split incoming mail with Outlook Express ... doubt if I'll
>ever bother when Debian boots OK.
>
>Thanks in advance,

I've tried with slink without much success.  However, I noticed that
booting slink with the hamm kernel does not try to start PCMCIA, so I
could get at a boot prompt.  Moved /etc/init.d/pcmcia to somewhere
else and rebooted with the slink kernel.  BTW, I'm using loadlin to
boot.

Some experimenting showed that the pcmcia script hangs while trying to
load the i82365 module.  Inserting and removing a PCMCIA card in the
top slot causes it to continue.  Things seem to work OK, so far.

I have been looking at /var/log/messages to see if I can find out what
is causing the hang, but I'm afraid that is a little beyond me.  If
kind folks in the know would care to help me out, I'd appreciate it.
--
Olaf Meeuwissen
Where there's no walls, who needs windows?