Boot hangs at 'Starting PCMCIA services: modules' on ThinkPad i1476

Dear friends,

I've installed a dual-boot system (hamm/that other OS) on a brand-new
ThinkPad i1476 without any trouble, but the first boot hangs on

    Starting PCMCIA services: modules

I'm suspecting that the built-in Lucent Win Modem is wrecking havoc,
but don't have a clue as to how to fix this.  I'd appreciate any sug-
gestions.

BTW, I'll try with slink tomorrow, but am not very optimistic that
that will solve the problem.

Please reply directly as I don't subscribe just yet,  Haven't figured
out how to split incoming mail with Outlook Express ... doubt if I'll
ever bother when Debian boots OK.

Thanks in advance,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen
Where there's no walls, who needs windows?