qmail setup

I'm trying to get pine working on top of qmail.

I'm having problems with ./configure  in  /var/qmail/qmail1.02
The output of ./configure is as follows:

    Your hostname is nezgnu.
    soft error
    Sorry, I couldn't find your host's canonical name in DNS.
    You will have to set up control/me yourself.

In control/me I have one line: " algonquinc.on.ca" the canonical name of
the provider I am dialing-up to.  Should I change my hostname to
"algonquinc.on.ca".

I've tried doing just that with :
    set $HOSTNAME="algonquinc.on.ca" and several other variations of
this command with no luck.  How do I change my hostname?

Using a bash shell.
I am using a standard PPP setup with slink on a Pentium II, 32M ram.
--
Paul@Nesbit.net