Re: qmail setup

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Paul Nesbit wrote:

> I'm trying to get pine working on top of qmail.
>
> I'm having problems with ./configure  in  /var/qmail/qmail1.02
> The output of ./configure is as follows:
>
>     Your hostname is nezgnu.
>     soft error
>     Sorry, I couldn't find your host's canonical name in DNS.
>     You will have to set up control/me yourself.
>
> In control/me I have one line: " algonquinc.on.ca" the canonical name of
> the provider I am dialing-up to.  Should I change my hostname to
> "algonquinc.on.ca".

You should not set up your qmail to receive mail destined to your ISP.

If you have a fix IP name, then you should set up your machine so that
`hostname`.`dnsdomainname` would give your machines fix ip name.

If you have not, then you should set up a dns server on your machine, and
configure qmail for a bogus name, and you can use qmail only for local
use, but not for the internet, since the messages won't be delivered to
you anyway.

Robert Varga