Promise Ultra33 troubles

Hello,

I am trying to install slink on a machine that is using a Promise Ultra33
as its primary IDE controller.  Searching the mailing lists, I found that
others were having the same trouble that I am having (HDDs detected as
hde and hdf, no hde or hdf in /dev).  In the article found at
http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-user-9907/msg03119.html,
Enrique Zanardi says that he will put a fixed boot floppy in the incoming
directory.  Is this new floppy available yet?  I can't find it (or any
'incoming' directory, for that matter) anywhere on ftp.debian.org.

If this floppy is far from being available, what are the correct mknod
commands to create the hde* and hdf* devices properly?  There is no
MAKEDEV script in /dev on the present rescue floppy.

Thanks in advance for any help,

 - Carey