alternative to getting packages file by file?

Hello,

Although I have been able to get the "base" 2.1 system up and
running, I am now trying to download what I need to get X Windows,
and its dependency packages, and then a few clients (for now) running.

In the relnotes9.html, the required files are listed, but mention
"tar"ed sets such as "Xbin.tgz", etc.   All I can find on the
debian ftp sites are the individual files.  Are "sets" available
anywhere?  Or at least a description of what was in Xbin.tgz?

Many Thanks in advance,

John