transfer of mail and (kernel)automounted homes

Hi there gurus and wizards,

I'd need some advice on what to do with my mailing system on machines
with automounted home directories. As a fact my clients smail is not
able to read out ~/.forward files, at least not temporarily so that
there are always undelivered messages accumulating under
/var/spool/mail. This happens for sure at least for my own account.

What can I do about that? Shall I set some kind of 'global' forward
directive for my mailer daemon and if so how do I do this, or maybe
deactivate mailing on the clients with automounted homes completely, or
what?

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot,

Ferdinand.