Re: Obscure ethernet/IDE trouble

"In article <[🔎] 37CD3856.521807EB@mit.edu> you wrote:"
> Greetings,
>
> I'm having bizarre troubles with the base 2.1 system (2.0.36-scsimod) on
> an Abit BP6 dual-celeron system with Triton IDE DMA chipset and twin
> 3C905 ethernet cards.  After my first net access (via eth0), be it ping
> or apt-get update or whatever, the next disk access causes an IRQ
> problem:
>
> hda: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> hda: disabled DMA
> hdb: disabled DMA
> [same for hdc and hdd]
> ide1: reset: success
> ide0: reset: success
>
> so IDE-DMA gets dropped and the interfaces reset, after which the net is
> inaccessible!

I was getting the 'DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest' error and
related hard drive problems after I selected the 'use DMA when
available' when configging the kernel source.  Although I don't
have the flakey chipset mentioned in the help for this option,
deselecting the option fixed the problems.

Rick