failed network stuff

I seem to have broken my ethernet networking on my Vaio Z505S running
Debian kernal version 2.2.10

It was working fine including ethernet networking, and I had taken it
home and got ppp working fine
using a modem. Recently I recompiled the kernel (to turn sound support
off).  I mention this because the
failure on networking could quite possibly be do to my recompile of the kernel.

Today I brought the computer back into work and I cannot get the eth0 to
work.  Here are some
dmesg errors (copied by hand by walking back and forth between the Vaio
and a networked computer):
The PCI BIOS has not enabled this device! Updating PCI command 0013->0017
eth0: Invalid EEPROM checksum 0xffc0, check settigs before activating
this device!
eth0: OEM i82557/i82558 10/100 Ethernet  at 0xfcc0, FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF, IRQ9.
	Receiver lock-up bug exists--enabling work around
	Board assembly ffffff-255, Physical conectors present: RJ45 BNC AUI MII
	Primary interface chip unknown-15 PHY #31
	  Secondary interface chip i82555
Self test failed, status ffffffff:
 Failure to initialize the i82557.
 Verify that the card is a bus-master capable slot.
After boot one gets the repeating error
eth0: Transmit timed out: Status ffff ffff at 0/15 command 0001a000.
eth0: Trying to restart the transmitter....

Jim Warren

Dr. James A. Warren
Metallurgy Division
Deputy Director, Center for Theoretical and Computational Materials
Materials Science and Engineering Laboratory

Contact Information:
NIST                            email:jwarren@nist.gov
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8554     WWW:http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/~jwarren
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8554     Phone: (301)975-5708/FAX:(301)975-4553