Re: Why use Debian? Why not Red Hat?

Tuesday, August 31, 1999, 3:04:45 PM, Steve wrote:
> - Speed of releases. Volunteers don't have the same amount of time as a
> commercial operation so the releases tend to be few and far between. They
> are very solid when they come along but it can be a bit galling if you want
> to run up-to-date stuff. The choice is to compile it yourself in /usr/local
> or to follow the unstable branch.

    This is a fallacy.  The longest Debian release cycle I could find on
record was 7 months.  In fact, that is the average.  Red Hat and Slackware
have both had 7 month long release cycles.  The shorter ones were for ugly
bugs they needed to fix that Debian's release cycle pretty much avoids.

    So stable release for stable release, Debian is on par with others.