SCSI Tape Drive

Greetings,
	I have recently installed a SONY SCSI tape drive onto my linux box.  I
would like to use the Taper program to back up my hard drive to tape.  But
I seem to be having a problem with getting the tape drive to work.

	When I do a cat on /proc/scsi/scsi I get:

Attached devices:
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SONY     Model: SDX-300C         Rev: 0300
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02

So the OS is "seeing" the hardware.  However when I try to tar or write to
/dev/st0 I get an error saying device not found.  Any insight onto this
matter would be very much appreciated.

Anthony