nas???

I've been trying to set up Network Audio System for my daughters remote
X-Terminal but my lack of networking knowledge is getting in the way. I've got
sound compiled and working on her PC, as I can cat bark.au > /dev/audio and get
a bark from my speakers. At the moment I log into her PC as root, the only user
it has, then I use X -query master to connect to my PII. This then gives my the
standard xdm login banner from the PII on her 486. I can then log in with her
name and get X running. I have installed the nas package on both hers and my
PC's. When I do a auinfo on my PC I get lots of info that seems to indicate that
it is working, but when I run auinfo on the 486 from the local console, I.E.
<ALT> F2, I get can't connect to server, connection refused. Well, something
like that, I'm not at the PC at the moment. I used the net3 HOW-TO to get the
PC's to talk to each other, but I don't think I've got everything right. I can
ftp and telnet from the 486 to the PII, this is how I loaded the software from
the CD on the PII into the 486, but I can't ftp OR telnet from the PII to the
486, I get connection refused. I think this may be related to my problems with
nas, but I'm not sure. X connects fine, so I'm wondering why nas wouldn't? Right
now I can open xmms on my daughter's display, but when I start to play an MP3,
the sound plays from the speakers on the PII! I am hoping when I get nas running
properly, I'll be able to play the sound from the speakers on the PC I'm sitting
at rather than only the PII. I believe xmms is based on a MP3 player that is nas
compatible, so I should only need to get nas working properly and the rest
should work. I contacted X.org and got a mail back saying that X is looking for
some help to make sound part of the X protocol, but I'm not a programmer. Anyone
want to take this up? nas was developed due to the lack of sound support in X,
an Xsound package was started by the X consortium, but has since been abandoned.
Any takers?
Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers,

     John Gay