Re: Forgotten root password HELP

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Patrick Kirk wrote:

2 things you can do:
pop a debian boot disk into the floppy
wait untill you get to te color selction screen
alt-2, enter
now you have a console
mount your linux partition (whichever one has etc on it)
vi /etc/passwd
delete what's in teh second feild
so it looks like root::0:0:rot:/root:/bin/bash (or something like that)
then reboot your system (take out teh boot disk)
log in as root, for password hit eneter
and chaneg your passsword quick!

I think also getting teh lilo prompt (hit shift when lilo comes up) and
typing [name] s.
will get you inot a root console.

--dave