Re: Fresh install questions

Nathan Duehr replied:

> Ron,
>
> Due to various laws and licenses, the non-free and non-US packages and
> directories are not on the CD-ROM's, for good reason.
>
> Answer "none" for the non-free and non-US stuff, finish installing your
> packages selected, then change your Access method to APT go online and do
> an Update to get the non-US and non-free packages listed in your Select
> list.

Thus I answered 'none' to the question regarding the non-free and non-US
packges
only to be confronted with the same question regarding '_local_ Packages.cd'
file.
Moving forward I have also answered 'none' to this although unlike non-free
and non-US
it would seem that I have no good reason to so answer.. but here goes.

Having done that and selecting [ I ] for install I immediately get
'installation script returned
error exit status 1'  Then press RETURN to continue which returns me to the
'dselect'
package handling frontend.

At this point I would guess the install has basically failed, so there is no
point in not
trying CD 1 starting with [U] for update:

I did that and it immediately failed with 'installation script returned
error exit status 1'.

So it looks like my install is dead!

Can it be this difficult?

Ron