Re: PnP SB16 Problems

On 30 Aug 1999, Andrew Clark wrote:

> Has anyone had any success getting an SB16 (Vibra 16 really) PnP to work with
> debian,  I tried configuring the kernel with the same options that CTCM
> displays when you run it, then booting to DOS, running CTCM and then booting
> linux via loadlin (with and without sound=0x6220933)
>
> Any help would be apreciated (even if it is just to tell me to rip the non-PnP
> SB16 original out of my other machine)

It can be done, because i've done it. Although right now i'm impatiently
waiting for the new Alsa drivers to be debianized, because the OSS drivers
don't do full duplex for SB16...

First, you have to configure your kernel properly. Everything listed below
should be modules:
  Sound card support
  OSS sound modules
  100% Sound Blaster compatibles (SB16/32/64, ESS, Jazz16) support
  Generic OPL2/OPL3 FM synthesizer support
  FM synthesizer (YM3812/OPL-3) support
You also, obviously, need module support compiled into the kernel ;)

You'll then need to install isapnptools and write an isapnp.conf file.
Before you start, make sure you know an IRQ, the DMA channels you need
(There will be 2. Some ViBRA models want two 8-bit, some (like mine) want
one 8 and one 16. Read linux/Documentation/sound/VIBRA16 for more info),
and the IO bases (There will be 3: the first in the 0x220 to 0x280 range,
the second 0x300 or 0x330, and the third being 0x388). pnpdump can help
with writing the file.

The SB16 section on my system looks something like this:
  (CONFIGURE CTL0070/-1 (LD 0
    (INT 0 (IRQ 9 (MODE +E)))
    (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
    (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 5))
    (IO 0 (SIZE 16) (BASE 0x0220))
    (IO 1 (SIZE 2) (BASE 0x0300))
    (IO 2 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0388))
   (NAME "CTL0070/-1[0]{Audio               }")
    (ACT Y)
  ))

If you install the Debian package for isapnptools, the isapnp.conf file
will automatically be read before the modules are inserted.

Then, the final step is to insert the modules. The way i do it here is
clearly not the best, but it works well enough that i don't feel like
changing it now ;)

    # Install basic sound modules
    insmod soundcore
    insmod sound
    # init'ize uart thing, because sb needs it
    insmod uart401
    # Set up the actual sound card! Pulled numbers out of /etc/isapnp.conf
    insmod sb io=0x220 irq=9 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x300 type=6
    # Midi support. Note that this automatically loads opl3.o as well
    modprobe adlib_card io=0x388

i still don't know where i came up with "type=6"... The following is the
correspondence between the options in /etc/isapnp.conf and the module
options above:
  sb module:
    io     IO 0
    irq    IRQ
    dma    DMA 0
    dma16  DMA 1 (even if this is a second 8-bit for your card...)
    mpu_io IO 1
  adlib_card module:
    io     IO 2

- --