Bantam backpack on Toshiba T4500C

My brother-in-law loaned me his aging 486 Toshiba laptop since he had
failed to install RedHat on it.  It seems that the minimum install for
RedHat far exceeds the 120Mb disk it has.

I decided to try a minimal installation of Debian Slink.  This machine
has a 120Mb HD and 12 MB RAM, so this is a bit of an experiment to see
whether something "interesting" (in this case "interesting" == X +
graphical browser + (some of) WordPerfect + ppp).

The first snag: the Bantam backpack cdrom drive (attached to the
parallel port) doesn't appear to be recognized by the installation
kernel.  I tried:

	mount -t iso9660 /dev/hd[bcdefg] /mnt

... where [bcdefg] represents several attempts, and was told this
wasn't recognized as a block device.  I then went to the modules
portion of the installation menu, and tried installing modules for
parallel ports.  No luck.

Any suggestions?  Also (anticipating future challenges...) any ideas
on what video card/chipset, hsync and vsync I'll need to indicate for
configurring X?

Thanks in advance

Danny Heap
danny@gibbs.med.utoronto.ca