Re: Bantam backpack on Toshiba T4500C

Thanks a lot for your help.  I'm still stuck, but (perhaps) making
progress.

> Install the base system from floppies.  DO NOT configure the
> 'paride' (parallel port) modules into the kernel.  When it comes
> time to install the packages, do this:

Okay, I've installed from floppies, then invoked 'modconf' to remove
all modules except 'psaux' and 'serial'.  The only way I found to dump
the pcmcia modules was 'dpkg --purge pcmcia-cs'.  So, at this point,
lsmod shows:

Module		Pages		Used by
serial		8			0
psaux		1			0

> make the parallel port cdrom device (pcd0 on my Datastor EP2000 cdrom, YMMV)

There is a /dev/bpcd which suggests a BackPackCD, and it's a block
device.  What do you mean to 'make' it --- should I invoke MAKEDEV or
something?

> rmmod lp (if you've installed it)
> insmod paride
> insmod <Bantam module> (dstr for my Datastor EP2000 cdrom)
> insmod <Bantam device> (pcd0 for my Datastor EP2000 cdrom)
> mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/<Bantam device> /mnt

No lp module running, and I do 'insmod paride; insmode bpck':

paride: version 1.02 installed
paride: bpck registered as protocol 0

# lsmod
bpck		4		0
paride		1	[bpck]	1

mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/bpcd /mnt

mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/bpcd as a block device
	(maybe 'insmod driver'?)

Any other suggestions?  I power the backpack up first and put the cd
in (an amber light flashes).  I then power up the laptop --- does this
seem right?