Re: How to get the good kernel from boot diskette to hard drive

Thanks for the info.  I have some more info, for anyone who's following
this thread, and some  questions.
(dark@xs4all.nl, webmaster@debian.org, <haphazard@socket.net> : see
questions 1+2 below--I wasn't sure exactly where to send this).

Info: the site referred to in the release notes is
ftp://kalle.csb.ki.se/pub/, with files
07/13/99 05:41PM      1,474,560 resc1440.bin-non-eata-dma
06/17/99 04:28PM      1,474,560 resc1440.bin-only-aic7xxx
07/13/99 05:41PM        706,857 vmlinuz-2.0.36-non-eata-dma
06/17/99 04:32PM        508,194 vmlinuz-2.0.36-only-aic7xxx

The other site is http://www.debian.org/~adric/aic7xxx/slink/5.1.19/ (also
5.1.15)
 Instructions            24-Aug-1999 18:57     4k
 Instructions.asc        24-Aug-1999 18:57     1k
 MD5SUMS                 24-Aug-1999 18:57     1k
 MD5SUMS.asc             24-Aug-1999 18:57     1k
 drv1440.bin             24-Aug-1999 18:56   1.4M
 drv1440.bin.asc         24-Aug-1999 18:57     1k
 resc1440.bin            24-Aug-1999 18:57   1.4M
 resc1440.bin.asc        24-Aug-1999 18:57     1k

Questions:
1) Which of these sites is preferred?  (I always prefer instructions :)).
2) It would be good if the release notes would either provide the
documentation missing at the site they reference, or point to the other
site.  For some indication of matters a novice might need info on, keep
reading!
Basically, the problem was that my initial bootdisk had the right kernel,
but I then installed the base system off the CD, which didn't.
3) Seth advises I could copy the file I downloaded from sweden.  But
resc1440.bin-only-aic7xxx
is an image of a rescue diskette. Is that what I want to point lilo at?
with what parameter?  or is it some file on there I should use? (I tried to
read the diskette with ls /dev/fd0, but didn't get anywhere).