How to get the good kernel from boot diskette to hard drive

I just installed Debian 2.1 on a system with an Adaptec 2940 controller
which ran, among other things, the CD I used.  After running into the
well-known problems with that controller, I made a boot floppy from the
site pointed to in the release notes (in sweden, I think).

>From there on I pointed the install at the CD.  I'm pretty sure this means
I got the vanilla kernel, because when I try to boot off the hard drive I
get the same Adaptec error.  I can boot off the same diskette I used for
the install, with rescue root=/dev/hdax (from memory) getting me into the
main system.

So I need to get the good stuff onto the hard drive.  How do I do that?

I also noticed a reference in the email archives to another site, which had
diskette images for the boot disk and another for a driver disk.  I never
used the latter, and I never told the install process to add a module to
get the fixes onto the system.

I'd appreciate any advice.  If necessary I can do another install, though
I'd naturally prefer not to.  I spent several hours installing packages.

By the way, the hard disk I am using is IDE.  The system has a SCSI disk
drive (also a SCSI Jaz), but it's full.

Thanks in advance.