Re: Soundcard (Crystal CS4236) configuration

Hello!

I have the same sound board in the company's portable computer. It is a Dell
Inspiron 3200. (PII 233MHz 96MB 4.1GB)

On Sat, Aug 28, 1999 at 08:20:54PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> I could use my soundcard to produce sound using the speakers, but not
> record anything. When I tried I got the following error message:

What program do you use for recording?  I can play sounds, but I haven't
tried recording yet.

> Sound: DMA (input) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

I get this errors as well when I don't put the correct dma numbers.

> Now I am trying to correct that.
>
> According to pnpdump my card is a Crystal CS4236.  The kernel
> documentation says :
> I am not sure from the isapnp-documentation whether or how I must use
> isapnp.

This board came embedded with the motherboard in the computer. I went to the
BIOS and told it to not use PNP. I selected 0x530 for io, irq=5, the first
dma=1 the second dma=0.

This is what I have on the bios:

Audio:  Enabled  (Other opts: Disabled, Auto, PnPOS)
SB I/O address:  220h
WSS I/O address: 530h
Adlib I/O address: 388h
Interrupt: IRQ 5
1st DMA channel: DMA 1
2nd DMA channel: DMA 0

If you have a PNP board, then you will probably need to use isapnp. You have
to start by using:
pnpdump > ~/isapnp.conf

Then you have to review that file, and select the settings for io, irq, dma,
dma2 (uncommenting the ones you want).  Don't forget to uncomment ACT Y at
the end.

You can test that config. using  isapnp ~/isapnp.conf

Then test the suggestions on the kernel documentation.

This is what I use to start sound:

modprobe sound
insmod ad1848
insmod uart401
insmod cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0
insmod opl3 io=0x388

That works for me. I will try recording using the program that you use, and
then I'll find out if I have a problem there.

Greetings,

Alexis Maldonado
Disenos y Montajes S.A.

DYMSA - Disenos y Montajes S.A.
Tel. +(506) 227-5616   Fax. +(506) 227-5257

e-mail: dymsacr@racsa.co.cr

PO Box:  Apdo 171-2010 Zapote
         San Jose, Costa Rica

Address:  500 mts Sur de Rotonda de Zapote
          Edificio DYMSA
          San Jose, Costa Rica
          Central America