Re: How to install a source package?

Thanks for the kick-start; I have gotten this to work.

For the benefit of the other side discussions that this question started,
let me give a little background. I wanted to install qmail which is only
available in source form. Since it provides 'mail-user-agent', I wanted
to do this by the book so that the package dependencies get updated
correctly. In my RedHat days, every upgrade would break qmail (in a small
but annoying way) and I want to avoid this with Debian.

I did have a small glitch in the process, though, and maybe someone has
some insight into this. After I created the Packages file and told dselect
about it and selected and deselected things, the Install step resulted in
no errors but also no packages installed or removed. I then tried to
do it with dpkg -i and it installed qmail and removed exim, just like
I wanted. I just wonder why dselect didn't do it.

-- Mark