ZIp drive problems

When I was moving to my new computer, I backed up all my linux data onto
a ZIP disk, since I had that working with my old computer.  I figured it
wouldn't be too hard to set this up for my new computer (formatted the ZIP
disk to linux format).

Anyhow, I've compiled the Kernel 2.2.5 verision (identical to before) and
selected the options necessary for ZIP disk support (SCSI support, scsi disk
support, Iomega zip support, and printer support.  Kernel compile goes fine,
lalalla.

I reboot, and then try to connect the ZIP drive.  Here's the error messages
I get:

if I type "mount -t ext2 /dev/sda4 /Zip" I get:
     The kernel does not recognize /dev/sda4 as a block device (I think
that's correct...)

if i type "insmod ppa" (other modules load just fine or are built into the
kernel) I get:
  ppa: Version 2.04  (for linux 2.2.x)
  ppa: parport reports no devices
scsi: 0 hosts
/lib/modules/2.2.5/scsi/ppa.0 init_module: Device or resource busy

I get these error messages no matter what order I toss them in, weither the
ZIP drive is conencted on boot, or what not.  Being the linux newbie that I
am, I'm sort of at a lost.  Can anyone help me, so I can get back to a
working os?:)

Jon