Re: How to install a source package?

On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 07:23:25PM -0600, Mark Zimmerman wrote:
> I need to install from a source package and I have not been able to
> find the documentation on this. Would someone please point me to the
> right man page or give a quick summary?

1) Download the source components for the package of interest.  There
   are two possible combinations:

      *.dsc and *.tar.gz (debian-specific utility, such as apt)
      *.dsc, *.orig.tar.gz, and *.diff.gz (everything else)

2) Unpack it into the current directory, with `dpkg-source -x *.dsc'.

3) cd into packagename-<version>, and run `debian/rules build'.
   Technically, you can probably skip this step, as the make utility
   should take care of this in the next step.

4) Generate the debfile with `fakeroot debian/rules binary'.  As an
   alternative to using fakeroot, you can issue `debian/rules binary' as
   root.

Assuming no errors, you should now have one or more installable debfiles
in the parent directory.