z/bzImages, shell scripts

Hello there.  I have two questions regarding Debian v.1.3.1

First of all, I'm running a 486 that has two partitions, one for MSDOS
and one for linux. Currently, my system boots off of the DOS partition. To boot to linux, I have to insert my custom boot floppy and boot up. What I would really like to do is use loadlin to boot to linux, but I really have no specific information concerning bzImages or zImages. If someone could give me some info or a URL, I would really appreciate that. One question: would it be possible to use a line somewhat like this:
loadlin linux root=/dev/hda2 /dev/initrd=root.bin
so that loadlin boots up using the "linux" and "root.bin" files? Or would it be better to use a zImage?

My second question has to do with small shell scripts. I was reading a book on Unix the other day, and it talked about "aliases," which it stated only ran under Berkely *nixes. I'm guessing that means FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, or BSDI, but can Debian linux use aliases, too? The reason I'm asking is that I wrote some small shell scripts to make life a little bit easier. For example, let's say I wanted to make a program called "delete" that would act like this:
rm -iv
so that I could "delete" a file instead of "rm"'ing it, like so:
$ls
deletethis.zzz
$delete deletethis.zzz
Are you sure you want to delete deletethis.zzz? y
deletethis.zzz deleted
$ls
$
I did that, but every time I ran "delete" I would get something like this:
$delete deletethis.zzz
Parameter not good (not verbatim, but it was close to this)
use 'rm --help' for more details
The same thing happened if I tried making scripts containing mv -iv and cp -iv. What is the problem here, and just as importantly, what is a posssible solution? If Debian supports aliases, would this help me? Any help on either of these two subjects would be grately appreciated.

                                Sincerely,
                                Tom Lineman

P.S. I know this is probably a silly question, but if my CD-ROM drive is the second device on my first IDE Controller, would it be /dev/hdb ?