Re: PPP over an Ethernet connection.

I am new to this stuff but it seems to me that somehow I have to tell pppd
that it has to use my Ethernet card and not a serial device.
That is, I need the pppd output to go into my Ethernet "network" (which is
only composed from my machine and the router), and not to a modem or other low
speed RS232 (or compatible) device.

If I got it correctly, what the VPN-HOWTO does is creating a pseudo, or
virtual network when it has an underlying real network. In fact, it is using
an existing network to create a virtual network above it.
My problem, putting it in a simplifying manner, is that I have the wires
that connect the machine but do not have the real network above it.

Or am I wrong ?

As it seems to me now, I will either have to start learning the PPP source, or
get myself another router.

BTW: How can root put raw data on the Ethernet device ? If there is no /dev
for it, then how can someone open this device ?