Re: fvwm2 configuration

Brian Servis wrote:

> *- On 25 Aug, John Carline wrote about "Re: fvwm2 configuration"
> > "E.L. Meijer (Eric)" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I use fvwm2 as a window manager in slink.  In
> >> /etc/X11/fvwm2/system.fvwm2rc, the FvwmPager module is started with one
> >> desk, after .fvwm2/post.hook is read.  I like to start FvwmPager with
> >> three desks, and do that in my post.hook file.  As a result there are
> >> always two FvwmPagers running, on top of each other.  Luckily the one I
> >> added is on top most of the time, but sometimes it isn't.  Is there a
> >> way to make fvwm2 stop processing the configuration files in
> >> .fvwm2/post.hook?
> >
> > Probably the simplest way would be to copy the "system.fvwm2rc" into your home
> > directory as ".fvwm2rc" and then edit it so that it puts up exactly the FvwmPager
> > setup you want. You then wouldn't need to put it into the "post.hook". That or
> > comment out the items in ".fvwm2rc" and leave your "post.hook" as is.
> >

> The system.fvwm2rc in Debian's setup is used to read all the system and
> user .hook files.  It is designed to be robust enough to allow the user
> full configuration of the wm or no configuration at all and just use the
> defaults.

True enough, but  it's there to provide a default in case the user doesn't have a
"~/.fvwm2rc". If there is a ~/.fvwm2rc the system.fvwm2rc won't be read. This makes
the ~/.fvwm2rc file an excellent place to "play around" with your windows manager. You
can screw it up in any manner you want (I have ;-))  without affecting other users or
the default system.fvwm2rc.