RE: Is this smart HD partitioning?

>From looking at this I and what the sound is I take a stab at this:

The crackling sound sounds like the scan that updates your find dB. When you
do a find on your computer it checks this dB for locations of things(to be
simple). Anyway I think you Linux parts are too big, hence it seems as if it
locking up. I had this problem. I would split /dev/hda7 and /dev/hda4 into
different partitions such as:

 	/        		root partition 60M
	/var		60M
	/usr		860M
	/usr/local	860M

or something like that. This also will give you added safety incase of a
crash or just stupidity that occasionally creeps into everyone. Gladly I
know nothing about the win98 stuff but I assume it along that same lines as
a find scan, but I give that to someone else