RE: Is this smart HD partitioning?

>The crackling sound sounds like the scan that updates your find dB. When you
>do a find on your computer it checks this dB for locations of things(to be
>simple). Anyway I think you Linux parts are too big, hence it seems as if it
>locking up. I had this problem. I would split /dev/hda7 and /dev/hda4 into
>different partitions such as:

That was a good hint, but that doesn't explain why it happens both under
Linux and Win98.

Some other strange things: when I give the CPU some work to do (like
constantly playing MP3 files) it stops. I also noted that the internal
clock runs slow (about a second an hour), so I think I'll bring it back for
a replacement: the machine is four days old. -- Hans