Re: fvwm2 configuration

On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 10:37:35PM -0500, Brian Servis wrote:
> *- On 25 Aug, John Carline wrote about "Re: fvwm2 configuration"
> > "E.L. Meijer (Eric)" wrote:

    [ problems to get a pager with multiple desks in fvwm2 ]

> > Probably the simplest way would be to copy the "system.fvwm2rc" into your home
> > directory as ".fvwm2rc" and then edit it so that it puts up exactly the FvwmPager
> > setup you want. You then wouldn't need to put it into the "post.hook". That or
> > comment out the items in ".fvwm2rc" and leave your "post.hook" as is.
> >

> The system.fvwm2rc in Debian's setup is used to read all the system and
> user .hook files.  It is designed to be robust enough to allow the user
> full configuration of the wm or no configuration at all and just use the
> defaults.

Yup, I did not want to break that system.

[ ... ]

> I use the following at the top of my ~/.fvwm/post.hook and it works
> great.
>
> ButtonStyle Reset
> DestroyDecor default-decor
> DestroyModuleConfig FvwmIconBox
> DestroyModuleConfig FvwmButtons
> DestroyModuleConfig FvwmPager
>
> I then have a clean slate to define my own setup for the above modules,
> etc.

This is not the point.  The number of desks cannot be configured this
way, it is set when the FvwmPager module is started:

FvwmPager 0 0

This is the default, running from desk 0 to desk 0 (that makes a total
of, er, 1 (one) desk).

I got a private email from Michael Tempsch, in which he pointed me to
the documentation in /usr/doc/fvmw2/README.sysrc.gz.  There it says:

        Configuring your pager
                You can put *FvwmPagerXXX lines in the post hook to
                reconfigure the pager to your liking: your options
                will override the defaults provided.  This is good
                enough for most people.

                Unfortunately, you can't easily change the number of
                desks covered by the pager.  This is because the pager
                is started just after the post hook.  If you want
                multiple desks, you could wait for the appearance of
                the pager, kill it, and start a new one configured to
                you liking.  You can do this by including something
                like the following at the end of your init-restart
                hook:
                        + "I" Wait FvwmPager
                        + "I" KillModule FvwmPager
                        + "I" Module FvwmPager 0 3

This is what I was looking for.  Thanks, Michael!  (I hope you don't
mind me telling about private email on the list...:)

Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology