Re: Configuring PNP card *before* loading /etc/modules

On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 09:25:16PM -0400, Hwei Sheng TEOH wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm running a system with a PNP network card that needs to be up before
> /etc/init.d/network executes. I need to execute `isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf'
> *before* /etc/modules is read by the kernel (since the network driver cannot
> do anything until isapnp configures the network card).

Hwei, can you turn your bios into a nice standard plug'n'play bios? Many
BIOSes come with an option that reads "plug and play OS installed?" Be sure
to set this to "no" (well, the machines I have seen like this to be No,
YMMV) and the bios will take care of it all for you. You *DO* have to set it
to YES to use windows95 or windows98 and (maybe?) windows 2000.

> So when is /etc/modules read/executed?? Is it possible to arrange stuff in the
> right order so that things happen in exactly this order: (1) isapnp executes,
> (2) the network driver module loads (ie. /etc/modules loads);
> (3) /etc/init.d/network runs and configures the network.

sure, play with your rc.d directories. But will it keep your system usable?
That I can't help you with. :)

--
Seth Arnold | ICQ 3172483 | http://cswww.willamette.edu/~sarnold/
I prosecute unsolicited bulk emails, using the RealTime BlackHole