KDE question about panel icons

I've decided to play around with KDE a little, but I've run into
a problem. In adding programs to the panel, the icon I select is
ignored and replaced with the plain ol KDE cog.

I'm running potato, BTW.

A search of the KDE list archives yielded two other potato users
with the same problem. Several replies failed to shed any light
on the matter, and it appears to be a Debian-specific problem.

I've followed the instructions in the KDE faq for adding the
program to the panel, but it has been a no-go.

Has anyone managed to get programs added to their panel
sucessfully (with their specified icons)? If so, please share,
and I'll pass it along to the other two unfortunate souls and the
KDE list.

tia
--
Mark Wagnon       )     Debian GNU/ -o) / /  (_)__  __ ____  __