Debian 2.1 disappointment

I have been running a Slackware distribution for over 3 years, and
recently (with the purchase of a Sony laptop) decided to give Debian
a try.  I ordered the Debian 2.1 2 CD set from Linux Mall and
received them today.

I got through all the initial installation stuff with no problem,
and then it came time to "Select and Install Profiles"....

I chose to create a custom profile by selecting a number of the
tasks...X, graphics, C devel, etc.

Then it dumped me into dselect and I went through the Access, Update
and Install.  Note I was never successful at specifying a multiple
CD set (for Access).  It would keep giving me the following error:

/var/lib/dpkg/methods/multicd/available: file or directory not found.

Then I backed up and used the single CD option (twice! - I did not
know which CD to start with).  Each time during the Install step
it would say 'Skipping deselected package: *' hundreds of times and
nothing seemed to get installed.  It was as if the whole Profile step
was totally ignored.

I have the following questions:

 - Has anyone been successful with the LinuxMall CD's?  If so, how
   did you get it to work.

 - Has anyone ever been able to get back to the Menu that asks you
   about an initial profile without having to restart the entire
   installation process over?

Thanks in advance,
scott

--