Re: Debian 2.1 disappointment

On Mon, Aug 23, 1999 at 05:32:17PM -0400, Scott McMillan wrote:

[snip!]

> know which CD to start with).  Each time during the Install step
> it would say 'Skipping deselected package: *' hundreds of times and
> nothing seemed to get installed.  It was as if the whole Profile step
> was totally ignored.
>
> I have the following questions:
>
>  - Has anyone been successful with the LinuxMall CD's?  If so, how
>    did you get it to work.

If you select the multi-cd option, you need to start with CD 2 (I've
heard).

>  - Has anyone ever been able to get back to the Menu that asks you
>    about an initial profile without having to restart the entire
>    installation process over?

No one ever has. These profiles exist only fleetingly.  :-(

My advice? Use the apt method with CD 1 and an /etc/apt/sources.list
file that looks like this:

deb file:/cdrom/debian stable main
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US

Your net connection has to be up if the last two lines are active (the
base system is sufficient to get ppp running).

Luck,
Pann
--
What's All the Buzz About Linux?                    L I N U X       .~.
                                                    The Choice      /V\