slink --> potatoe (hi dan quayle! :)

hi all,

I recently bought slink from cheapbytes ($12 for 4 CDs! wow! :) so I could
install it before I get to school... but, it seems to me that it comes with
ancient versions of some software (windowmaker 20.x I think...) so I would
like to upgrade to potato.

Is there a nice easy way of doing this? I remember seeing a link on the
debian homepage that discussed what was involved in moving from 2.0.x to
2.2.x (I did that manually with SuSE, an experience that .. I would rather
avoid again, but I did learn from it. :) -- but I haven't seen it lately.

Without further suggestions, it seems that the way to do it is point dselect
to the potato directory of a nearby mirror and use that thing to upgrade all
my packages. Any caveats I should watch out for, or prepare against?
(Something about bash?) It seems a bit .. hitting the + key too often.

And, wrt to the install process -- it tripped me a bit that i needed the
second bin cd first -- my fault, I just booted the CD and didn't even look
for a readme file (sitting there plain as day :) -- but it would be nice to
see documented in the setup. Also, asking questions during the install of
packages threw me off a bit. Maybe this should be brought up in
debian-devel, but... it would be nice for packages to ask their questions at
the beginning, or at the end. as for byte-compiling emacs code....
(dangerous waters here...) vim doesn't have bytecode to compile. <duck> :)

Thanks all.

btw -- the reason why I decided to try debian was its users -- many of the
users evangelize debian, absolutely lauding it. So I had to try it. So far
it seems like the perfict fit for me. the users I have seen mention it
though didn't carry a holier-than-thou attitude with them -- users that like
their way of doing things, since many did things the other way before. You
all seem like a nice bunch of folks. If you keep it up, you will probably
keep getting more converts. :) (Heck, I liked the idea enough that *I* want
to be a debian developer -- just no clue what to develop. heh heh. :)

thanks again

--
Seth Arnold | ICQ 3172483 | http://cswww.willamette.edu/~sarnold/
I prosecute unsolicited bulk emails, using the RealTime BlackHole