Problem with 2nd network card, help please.

Hello!

I have a Compaq 590 Deskpro with internal PCnet/32 net-card on board.
Debian 2.1 Slink is running.

Now I installed as 2nd card a 3Com 900, because to build a packet
filter  firewall.

PCnet/32 at 0x1000, irq 11 as eth1
3Com 900 at 0x1040, irq 10 as eth0

in lilo config the parameters are adjusted

In any case the 3Com card is working only as eth0, because it is found
first at startup.
Both cards are compiled in the kernel and all messages are without any
failure. During startup by /etc/init.d/network eth0 (3Com900) is setup
to 193.154.151.37 ...
Manually I tried to configure eth1 PCnet/32 with ifconfig eth1
192.168.2.1

At the moment I do it and hit return I get immediatly the message:
eth1: BUS master arbitration failure, status 8883

Machine hangs and I have to switch power off to recover the system.
Each card works correct ii installed alone in the system.

Any Idea what this message means and what I could do ?
Did you had a similar problem ?
Do both cards work as master and is there a way to change it ?
Would it help to switch of the internal card and install 2 3Com900 cards
instead ? (Can similar cards communicate and negotiate who becomes
master ?)

Please reply!

Michael Steiner

---
Michael Steiner, Minorgasse 35, A-1140 Wien, Austria
Private: steiner@msteiner.co.at
Office : michael.steiner@lewa.co.at