Singles? (was Re: 80 min CD burning)

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, John Lapeyre wrote:

>    Wish I had some of those blanks.  I did not know they exist.  I use
>   scripts to control the command line tools.  I use 74 min discs.

These took a long time to become available. Different suppliers told
different things about them (They would only be sold to OEMs, they will
not be manufactured because of pressure from the record industry). Now
they are available at all computer stores here in Aachen.

>    I found that cdrecord
>   fails if I try to write too much to the disc. The disks are ruined.

Most disk have some more capacity than what the label says. But somewhere
the spiral ends and the leadout has to be a length on the order of 3
seconds, so that normal cd readers are able to read them (data cds). There
was once an article in the german computer magazine C'T, which (windows)
software is able to write the full capacity, which fails, etc.

>    But cdrdao writes
>   all 80 minutes without complaining ( it gives a warning).  The disks
>   are playable, but the last few minutes are cut off.

CD players don't care about leadouts, I think.

>      But it may be just due to the command line params that I give and
> so forth.

But by the way, does somebody know if there are some blank singles
available somewhere?

Jens

P.S.: Please vote against Spam! At
             http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
(Sorry Europeans only)
---
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de   grimaldi@debian.org
Key ID: 2048/E451C639 Jens Ritter
Key fingerprint: 5F 3D 43 1E 24 1E CC 48  1E 05 93 3A A7 10 73 37