Re: Getting mail and browsing the web

	Hi Walter, you have a lot of good questions. There are some odd
things about Linux and the internet. We use ppp to set up a connection to
our internet provider. Once this connection is made then other software
takes over to DO something.

	Learn the ip number of your internet server. Then use whatever it
is to make the ppp connection. Then in a exterm window type ping and then
the ip number of your server. You should see the pings working. Get a
whole list of them. Turn this off with Ctrl-c.

	If ping doesn't work keep working with the ppp part until it does.
Once that is right it works well and long...:-)

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, Walter Logeman wrote:

> Some newbie questions:
>
> I am in the process of getting a dialup account to work in my new
> & first ever install of Linux, slink. I think I'll find it easier
> if I have an overall picture of how it is done -- especially how
> it is already set up in the install I have. I have been reading
> howto after howto, but it is still hard to see how it all works
> on this particular distribution.

	It is confusing. Take one step at a time. And get Netscape.

Best wishes

  	 - Karl F. Larsen, k5di@totacc.com  (505) 524-3303  -