Getting mail and browsing the web

Some newbie questions:

I am in the process of getting a dialup account to work in my new
& first ever install of Linux, slink. I think I'll find it easier
if I have an overall picture of how it is done -- especially how
it is already set up in the install I have. I have been reading
howto after howto, but it is still hard to see how it all works
on this particular distribution.

I have managed to get to my ISP

Mail
I use wvdial and I think I am connected -- I don't know how to
unconnect though  :) -- is wvdial just a script that invokes chat
and pppd?  What is pppd?

Nor can I do any thing once I am connected - what I have tried is
to load mutt, if it could get mail I am not sure how to tell it
to.

Do I have this right:  mutt does not get the mail, fetchmail
does.  I have not managed to get that running.

Do I have this right:  fetchmail wont work on its own, it needs a
Mail Transfer Agent and Debian uses exim (does that stand for
anything? -- extract internet mail???)  In addition I need
procmail going to sort the mail.

In summary I should be able to get my mail if I am actually
getting to the ISP using wvdial, exim is invoked at that point, I
have fetchmail and procmail working, and learn the commands in
mutt?

A confirmation of that would be encouraging -- or corrections.  I
know there might be many other ways, I'd like to hear those
too... but this is the sort of classical Debian default way, is
that right?

~~~

Web
I have Lynx running but hitting the red urls does not work unless
the file is local.

Is it just a matter of configuring a file somewhere?

Walter

Walter Logeman  walter@psybernet.co.nz  http://www.psybernet.co.nz