Re: Getting mail and browsing the web

On Sun 08/22/99 07:31AM, Walter Logeman wrote:

> Nor can I do any thing once I am connected - what I have tried is
> to load mutt, if it could get mail I am not sure how to tell it
> to.

Hi Walter,

I too just recently got mail set up on my machine. I got a lot of
help here, but I also consulted an article in the Linux Gazette
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue43/stumpel.html which I found
invaluable.

basically you need to configure exim for your setup. I'm not sure
what you'd choose to set it up for dialup. Other files of
interest are the .forward, .fetchmailrc, and .procmailrc files.

Procmail uses the .procmailrc file to filter your mail into
different folders among other things.

Fetchmail uses the .fetcmailrc so you don't have to keep typing
in the info needed to access your mail server.

the .forward file is used to (duh :) ) forward mail. In my case
it calls procmail.

The hardest part is getting your .procmailrc set up. I got a lot
of info from this site:
http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/~reriksso/procmail/mini-faq.html

I'm sure others more knowledgeable than I will chime in here.

HTH
--
Mark Wagnon       )     Debian GNU/ -o) / /  (_)__  __ ____  __