Re: debian installation

On Sat, Aug 21, 1999 at 02:03:18PM -0400, Justin Wells wrote:

> Perhaps there should be an "express install" versus "detailed install"
> choice that decides this. If you elect for the detailed install, Debian
> asks you any question you might reasonably have a different answer for,
> and shows you all the whirling gears and motors. You might need this
> option on some machines with odd configuration, or if you just like it.

Asking fewer questions would be good, but I don't like the idea of
showing less information.  The information can be useful when something
goes wrong, and doesn't do any real harm otherwise.  If it's a real
concern perhaps all the chatter could be redirected to another virtual
console and the simplified version presented on the default one.

Another thing the installation doesn't handle too well is errors - ISTR
that the last time I tried to install too much on my first attempt the
installer kept on plugging on a long time after the disk space gave out,
causing the relevant messages to disappear and leaving me with some
misleading ones.

> If you choose "express install" then Debian tries really hard to minimize
> what it asks you, and is much more willing to use defaults where it can
> guess them. Under "express install" for example, Debian could assume
> that the contact e-mail for a webserver is "webmaster@HOSTNAME.DOMAIN",
> whereas under custom install it would insist on asking you.

And then alias this (and all the other admin accounts) to the user
account which would be created.

> The standalone thoughts must relate to the subject, and are not direct
> point-by-point responses to things in the quoted-response. Thus you are
> free to impose a logical structure independent of the order of material
> in the quoted response; and you have a place to sum up your overall
> opinion of the issues addressed in the quoted text.

I'm more used to cutting all the quoted text and perhaps saying
something to that effect.  YM obviously Vs.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/