Re: debian installation

Julian S. Taylor writes:
> In fact I did find the ppp file (I forget where it was now) that declared
> "DENY=ALL".

There is no such ppp file.

> I now try to get to my employer through ppp and that fails because Debian
> kind of assumes that everything is automated...

I don't understand what you mean by 'automated".  It is impossible to
automate ppp configuration.  I wrote pppconfig primarily for home users who
just want to dial into their ISP's.  I expect experienced system
administrators who want to do more to be able to figure it out from the
docs.  It's simple compared to say, sendmail or DNS.

> - this is impossible for access to my employer's system because they use
> an interactive prompt-response dynamic password.

I have considered adding support for dynamic passwords to pppconfig, but so
far it has seemed like too much added complexity for too few users.  There
is an example script for secure-card in /usr/doc/ppp/examples/scripts.

> I get "pppd: permission denied" when I try that and I have not managed to
> find what file it is denying me access now.

None.  pppd is 4750 and root.dip and your user is not in the dip group.  If
you are running pppd with command-line options instead of using the call
option as recommended by the upstream maintainers you will also need to put
your user in group dialout (or start pppd as root).

A future version of pppconfig will ask for the names of users to be added
to the dip group.
john@dhh.gt.org            Do with it what you will.