web db suggestions please

Hi all.
    I'm kinda having a go a developing an intranet at work and I need
some opinions from any experts out there.
We have a document register that is obviously used register any
documents written, written in vb and
accessing an Access db. Now I would like to move this to this intranet.
At the moment our server is a
486 running debian 2.0. What I'd like to know is what would be the most
favoured choice of front and back
ends? I'm thinking cgi *should* be fairly decent for the front end but
I've never done this before so I'm no
expert. But I have absolutely no idea what db to use. I need something
small and fast initially. Suggestions?

Thanks all.